This is an opportunity to join the QA team of a creative, leading web
trading software company.
Caplin is the market leader in web trading technology and single-dealer
platforms. Its award-winning software enables its customers to build high-
performance web trading apps and to deliver real-time information, including
live prices, securely and reliably to those apps.
We have an immediate vacancy for a Senior Software Development Engineer in Test.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a person wanting to bring their skills to an
organization at the leading edge of web-based trading technology and with
blue-chip global financial clients.
You will join an agile team of cross-disciplined developers and technical testers.
The main area of focus will be development of effective automated tests and test frameworks supporting Caplin’s cutting edge web applications and customer implementations.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer in Test, you will:
- Develop automated test cases and test frameworks for new functionality
- This includes both functional and non-functional testing using a variety of open source tools and libraries. Such as JUnit, Jasmine, Karma, JMock, WebDriver, JBehave, etc.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, UX designers and product owners to define and implement unit, acceptance, integration and performance tests.
- Contribute to and maintain the automated execution of test suites to provide quick feedback to the team.
- Perform manual and exploratory testing to effectively identify issues and gaps in automated regression test cases.
- Evangelise and articulate good testing practices for Agile projects including:
- Requirements elicitation
- Defining acceptance criteria with the team and stakeholders
- Writing clean, re-usable and readable test code
- Release preparation
- Possess the ability to deal effectively with uncertainty and alternative points of view.
- Raise, track and take ownership of issues and the release preparation process.
In addition, you will:
- Line manage and mentor more junior QAs. Mentoring especially with regard to automation.
- Originate and manage quality improvement initiatives across Engineering
You should apply if:
- You are self-motivated, enthusiastic, team player and keen to learn.
- You want to work in a company where taking on additional responsibilities and stepping-up is rewarded, a place where you can make a name for yourself.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a genuine passion for technology.
- Coding ability with an appreciation of design patterns – able to deliver effective, clean, maintainable and well-designed code in tight timescales.
- You are passionate about code quality and advocate clean code principles.
- Excellent testing instincts – You care about the smaller details, you have excellent debugging skills and have a natural curiosity for wanting to understand how things work.
- A well-rounded technical tester wanting to build upon previous experiences and evangelises the principles behind the concept of the ‘testing pyramid’.
- Just logging bugs is not enough for you - you want to understand them and what caused them.
- Proven experience of researching and evaluating testing tools for teams.
- At least 3 years of experience of working as a Senior Software Development Engineer in Test or similar technical role as an Automation Developer/Tester.
- A degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering or similar technical degree from strong university/Computer Science department or equivalent demonstrable technical knowledge.
- Exposure to working on projects which deal with real time data and/or race conditions.
- Extensive hands-on experience with automation testing tools such as JUnit, Karma, Jasmine / WebDriver / JBehave / Cucumber for unit and acceptance testing.
- Experience with build and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins and an understanding of designing build pipelines for projects.
- Experience with performance testing and troubleshooting performance-related problems.
- You contribute to open source projects (e.g. on Github).
- Experience of working within an agile development environment (XP / Scrum).
- Good knowledge of multiple operating systems (e.g. Unix and Windows).
- Exposure to a product/API development environment is an added advantage.
- Experience of working within the financial markets arena, or in other performance-sensitive domains.